Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, December 03, 2010

Yarn Report


Almost two weeks ago I began my stashbusting program: I will use at least one skein (ball, hank) of yarn per week, and, with time, my stash will shrink, or at least quit trying to take over the house. So how's it going so far? So far, so good. You see above another granite-stitch scarf in Noro Yuzen, two skeins down, one to go. All of the yarns I'm using for Red Scarf this year are new to me, and this is a very nice one. I think it will need a hair-conditioner bath to soften it up a bit. It already does better on the neck test than most alpaca, though. (How alpaca can feel so soft on the hands yet so scratchy on the neck I will never understand, but I've stopped using all but the finest superfine alpaca for scarves.)

I'm also knitting another scarf that I'm keeping under wraps for the moment, but it has consumed two balls of Di.Ve Zenith. So, four balls in a little under two weeks is pretty good. This skates over the fact that I bought this yarn to make Red Scarves with, but I bought it before I began the regimen, and it's a start. My next challenge will be to match projects I want to undertake to existing stash. I have made the heartening discovery that a lot of people on my Christmas list are fond of purple. I'll have to check the stash to be sure, but I think I may have some purple yarn.

3 Comments:

  • I'm impressed, even though I suspect that crochet is cheating, even though I know it is not. I agree on the alpaca....only husband gets alpaca scarves.

    By Anonymous Laurie, at 9:47 AM  

  • The granite stitch looks good in the self-striping yarn, too. Excellent!

    Alpaca has guard hairs that bristle out of the finished fabric. I use it for gloves and overgarments. A professor friend still wears the alpaca vest I knit for him 30 years ago. His favorite thermal layer.

    Hammer down on that stash! Yayyy!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:54 AM  

  • Crochet as a stash-busting techique -- genius! I may try it myself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home