Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Intentions for the New Year

Can I just say I love the word intentions here? The road to hell, and all that, but on the other hand it's good to set manageable goals, knowing that one still will probably fall short of some of them, or what's a heaven for? Still, I'm aiming for the doable, and I know some of these are doable because I'm already doing them. Persistence is all.
  1. Be prepared. Yes, I stole this one from the Coast Guard, but it's still a good one. Too often I fall short of my best, in various parts of my life, because of not having paid attention, picked a pattern, read my email.
  2. Pay attention to what I'm doing, to what's going on, to what people want and need.


  3. Continue Project Destash. I did really well this month, making gifts for both the office Yankee swap and Marjorie, whom I got in the family drawing. I thought I had someone else until last Wednesday, an excellent example of failure at #s 1 and 2. I made a nice recovery, however, although I do say it: I found a simple but nifty crochet stitch in one of my books, and I used it to make her a scarf in time for present-opening. (Getting in just under the wire still counts.) I was starting to make her a matching hat when she told me she never wears hats, she thinks they look awful on her, and could I please make her an earwarmer instead? In this case being behind schedule was a good thing: an earwarmer being faster than a hat, I finished before she left.


    And speaking of simple crochet stitches, when my DSIL Ellen was in town before Thanksgiving I taught her granite stitch; she was so happy with it that she asked if I had any yarn she could use to make a scarf.

    Which, strangely enough, I did: STR lightweight in the Jasper colorway. So I've used at least ten skeins/balls of yarn this month (contributing it to a worthy project counts as using), and I'll admit to feeling rather virtuous, until I look at the yarn I still have. (Astute readers will notice that all of this yarn use has involved crochet in one way or another. I don't feel even a twinge of guilt about this: I said I'd use the yarn, but nothing about knitting.)
  4. Become less fluffy.


    In this area too I have made progress, although since the holiday season started I haven't done so well. Still, I know it can be done, at least in my case (I'm not so sure about Fluffy's).
  5. Become a better photographer. I promise that not all of the pictures will involve roosters, even if they do make great subjects.


  6. Refrain from sweating the small stuff. To do this I have to identify the small stuff; my theory is that if I have time to ask myself if something is small, it probably is.
  7. Become more patient. See #s 1, 2, and 6.
  8. Clean my house. I've been working on it, and I've given away about twelve boxes of old clothes. I thought I'd miss them, even though no one had worn them for ages, but instead I feel lighter, as though I'd been lugging them around. I think this bodes well, but I need to keep at it.
  9. Make dinner more often. When I started the Diet From Hell I basically gave up cooking, there being so many things I couldn't eat. I still have restrictions, but they're much less stringent, and I'm starting to enjoy cooking again.
  10. Blog more often. No, really. You can hold me to it.

4 Comments:

  • i love the rooster picture. and your theory on the small stuff is fantastic.

    crochet counts.

    By Anonymous Laurie, at 6:32 AM  

  • I have been to the small town on Gran Cayman Island named Hell, and the road there is paved with asphalt. I like your intentions, though I must say that I find fluffy just gorgeous as is. And chicken pictures are just fine.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:14 AM  

  • Those seem like a do-able list. I like the rooster photo a lot.
    Happy New Year!

    By Anonymous Dave, at 7:06 AM  

  • Those roosters are fabulous. Keep snapping away!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home