Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Who Knows Where the Time Goes

So I've been a bit quiet lately, to the point where people are starting to wonder if I still exist. I am fine, we are all fine, even the cats are fine, as well as feline. And I was starting to write a fairly whiny post about my work crunch and how it keeps being winter, which I may pick back up at some point (you can hardly wait, right?), but at the moment I have some business to take care of, and before I do that I will show you a picture of an actual FO. Yes, I have been knitting, and I've finally managed to make something for my husband, who doesn't wear sweaters because they keep him too warm and likes the white athletic socks they sell at CVS.


It's an earwarmer in the Sunday Brunch stitch pattern. If it's not actively snowing, earwarmers work for him, because he is always warm — he will lounge on the bed in his underwear while I huddle in flannel pj's under three or four layers of bedding — and this way he can lose heat through the top of his head without freezing his ears.

Pattern: cast on a multiple of 4 sts to fit the relevant head (take a gauge swatch first: Sunday Brunch pulls in a lot), join into a round, work Sunday Brunch stitch pattern for 4-5 inches or however wide you want it, bind off. There is, alas, no perfect bind-off for 2x2 rib afaik — if you know of one, for heaven's sake speak up — I used the tubular bind-off for 2x2 rib given in Priscilla Gibson-Roberts's Simple Socks Plain and Fancy.

Now, about that other business... you'll never guess what I just noticed: it's my third blogiversary today. Yay! I managed to miss my first two, and almost missed this one as well, but looked at the calendar in time.

I'm trying to think of something either witty or deep to write about What Blogging Means to Me, and my mind is a blank. It does not help that I've read several excellent posts on the topic lately. I may try again later, but I'd be remiss not to mention what lovely readers and commenters I have. Couldn't have done it without you. Well, I could have, but I wouldn't have: being a voice crying in the wilderness is not my idea of a good time. So much do I appreciate you that I'm celebrating my blogiversary in traditional fashion by having a contest. (Entrants are warned that I can be extremely slow about sending out prizes, as Abigail could tell you, but I do get to it eventually.)

Here's the gimmick: I'm working right now on designing a pair of mittens. They're going to be stranded in two colors, I've already picked a motif, and I want you to guess what it is. (It's not reindeer. Reindeer mittens are lovely, but reindeer live where it's even colder than it is here.) Leave a comment with your guess before midnight Saturday; the first correct guesser who didn't get inside information (sorry, Ruth) will win a prize, and if I get at least ten guesses I will do a random drawing for another prize.

24 Comments:

  • Happy Blogiversary!

    Hmm... how about... stars? I just picked that because I love stars, but they are a traditional Norwegian thing to put on stranded mittens.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:55 AM  

  • I'm guessing the motif is musical notes. (I have no idea but that would be pretty) Happy Blogiversary.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 5:41 AM  

  • In the spirit of not-colder, I'm guessing your mittens have a motif of suns. You'd feel warmer just looking at them!

    By Blogger ccr in MA, at 7:02 AM  

  • Happy Blogiversary! Nice ear warmers.

    I'm guessing your motif is flowers, hoping to usher in spring a bit faster. Cause that's probably what I'd do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 AM  

  • I am guessing a snowflake - don't know why you would want one but there it is. Happy blogiversary.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 AM  

  • Happy B! My guess is for trees of some sort.

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:45 AM  

  • oooo are you doing the cute butterfly mittens i saw on ravelry the other day? Those are so cute!

    By Blogger pigbook1, at 8:38 AM  

  • Congrats on the blogaversery!

    the yarn arrived in the mail, and it's gorgeous.

    i'm going to make a post eventually, but i'm having trouble getting past my inherent laziness.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 8:40 AM  

  • How about a geometric motif? Hey guys! We're almost up to ten guesses!

    By Blogger Joan, at 8:50 AM  

  • Text of some kind.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 AM  

  • Oh yes, and certainly congratulations on the blogiversary milestone!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM  

  • WB - happy blogiversary. You've been missed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

  • I'd go with latin knowing you...half of the text on each one

    By Blogger J., at 9:26 AM  

  • Like CCR, I thought of suns. So if we're right, you'll have to flip a coin. I'm excited about stranded knitting myself, having in the past year finally improved my Continental technique to the point where I can knit with one color in each hand-- makes stranding the yarns FUN and fast to boot. So I look forward to seeing your mittens.
    -- Gretchen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM  

  • Just because I think it would rock, palm trees. I mean, come on. Tropical palm trees on warm woolen mittens? The only thing better than that would be stranded tiki faces... ooohh... I think I might try charting that out... tiki mug faces on the backs of stranded mittens... or a scarf that is a totem of tikis...

    My guess is still palm trees. Not that I think that's what it really is, but because that's what I would like to see on a pair of mittens. :)

    By Blogger Jena, at 11:26 AM  

  • Happy blogiversary! Are you making mittens featuring loons? (mental map: not cold = summer = vacation = Rangeley = loons). Because if you're not, you should be.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 12:10 PM  

  • oh, i know, i know! obama mittens :)
    congrats on three years!

    By Blogger the boogeyman's wife, at 3:30 PM  

  • snowflakes? banal I know... but it is snowy... probably you're using, oh, I don't know, the sporophyte from Sphagnum rubrum??? SO GLAD you posted!!!

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 7:45 PM  

  • 1. Happy Blogiversary!
    2. Your hubby is very handsome in his new earwarmer/not-hat.
    3. Cats on mittens, that's my guess.

    By Blogger Lorette, at 10:04 PM  

  • Awesome ear-warmer!
    Glad to see you posting again, and happy third blogoversary. Has it really been three years? My gosh!

    Mitten figures? Lessee, you like a challenge and it's not reindeer. something warmer. Manataees? No. Beavers? No. I gotta go with kitten mittens, too. but let the Lorette win the prize. I'm trying to de-stash.

    By Blogger roxie, at 11:50 AM  

  • lots of good guesses... but I'm going to guess cats.

    Happy Blogiversary!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 PM  

  • How about that skull and crossbones argyle?

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:20 AM  

  • I'm guessing "Bird in Hand," by uhm, was it Kate Gilbert?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 PM  

  • This is what I get for not checking people's blo regularly - a missed opportunity! :(
    Congratuations on your third blogiversary!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home