Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, December 22, 2008

Miscellaneous Monday


Since I have no knitting to show you and no topic in mind, it's time for a random picture and another list of completely unrelated items.
  • Grant and I dug out twice over the weekend; I shoveled out the walks, while Grant gave the driveway a blowj... er, a once-over with the snowblower. I have had quite enough of winter now.
  • For no reason we could see, the traffic leaving work this evening was dreadful. I ended up walking out of my office park, making much better time than anyone in a car, and half a mile up the hill to meet Grant, who had made equally slow progress leaving his office park. Once we got on the highway the rest of the ride was quick and easy. It's probably what I get for working next to a shopping mall during Christmas week, but we've never seen it that bad.
  • Despite my best intentions I did not finish Miro in time for Red Scarf. It's now in serious danger of becoming a Christmas present. Possibly with fingerless mitts to match.
  • Grant and I are watching The Princess Bride on TV; we watched the second half, and then it began again immediately, so now we're watching the first half. Inconceivable!
  • I made awful watery cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. In our daily menu-planning phone call, Marjorie suggested that I just buy a can for Christmas dinner. I probably will, but I will also buy a bag of cranberries. I will not be beaten by fruit! And I will use a different recipe.
That is all.

7 Comments:

  • I bet you didn't cook the cranberry sauce long enough for it to thicken. It's really just cranberries, water and sugar. Simple!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:31 AM  

  • *or* if by chance you tried to reduce the amount of sugar... because that's the only time cranberry sauce has failed for me, when I tried to use less sugar thinking it would be a bit healthier. If the cranberries pop they release their pectin which is the critical part of "long enough".

    By Blogger Julie, at 6:41 AM  

  • No no: Inconthievable!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:45 AM  

  • Yep, you need that sugar to thicken things. Good luck with try #2.

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:11 AM  

  • Surely this isn't the first time you have watched Princess Bride? Screaming eels, rodents of extraordinary size and a holocaust cloak are essential parts of my world view.

    Cranberries? I dunno - add some tapioca or cornstarch?

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:24 AM  

  • I'm not a witch, I'm your wife! hehehe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

  • I'll agree with all those comments about the sugar and needing to cook it longer. I will also say that though Splenda is made from sugar and you are supposed to cook with it like sugar, it does not react with fruits to make syrups like in apple pie or cranberry sauce. It also tastes even more fake. I've heard that a little orange zest is quite good in the fresh cranberry sauce but no one in either family likes chunky cranberry sauce enough to let me make it again.

    By Blogger Jena, at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home