Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, November 23, 2008

They're Ba-aack


And I am so happy to have them, even if they are slightly grumpy from lack of sleep (the cast party was last night at my SIL's house). Achilles is thrilled to see Miss B. Callie is not pleased to see either of them, but she'll have to lump it. Grant is watching House, and, being in the same room, I am watching too and wondering how this man could ever survive five minutes on the job, even with his alleged brilliance. To say nothing of the fact that there's no such specialty as diagnostic medicine. Not to mention that he routinely brings people to death's door by treating them for the wrong disease, or two or three. And on what planet does any doctor have only one patient at a time? One thing is for sure: if I ever have a mysterious set of undiagnosed symptoms I am not going to that hospital, where merely uttering the words "you're fine now, and you can go home as soon as we process your discharge papers" causes the patient to start bleeding from every orifice.

I'm still working on the circle thing. The canonical increase rate seems to be four stitches every row, but wool at least is forgiving enough to let you fudge that a bit. You can increase 24 stitches (which seems to be what I'm working with), for example, and then work five rows even. I think 60 stitches may be too many to increase on one row. Do not ask how I found this out.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • House - ha!! I too find the premise ludicrous, his character obnoxious, and Cuddy's character just about offensive. And yet... I watch. LOL The kidnapped guitar story line gives me giggles every time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 AM  

  • I think that as the rounds get larger, you can increase more stitches at a time. 60 stitches spread over a 30 stitch round will show a lot more than 60 stitches spread over a 120 stitch round. So you can go more rows between increase rounds as the rounds get longer. Am I making sense?

    uhoh - my verification word is recounts

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:03 AM  

  • ha - middle child and I watch House all the time. I identify with the neurologist, of course. And groan whenever the scriptwriters seem to have landed on another rare neurological disorder and treat it as "wow! none of us have ever heard of this!" when in fact those are often the illustrative situations for basic functioning that you get in neuro 1, or pre-med bio 1, even.

    Um, I will go back to my research task now. Er, yeah. (sigh)

    (my verification string is "stmandi" which is now transposed in my head to a Barry Manilow hit: St. Mandi, oh you came and you gave without takin', but I sent you awaaaaaayyyyy...) (good god I'm really not fit for human company these days, am I?)

    By Blogger Liz, at 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home