Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday Sky


This one is from last week, Wednesday, I think, or whenever the moon was full. I love full moons — I was born during one, but I don't think that has much to do with it. They're so striking it's hard not to like them.

I frogged and restarted the brioche-stitch scarf; it's now quite a bit narrower, but still plenty wide enough, and maybe three inches long. I forgot the soothing quality of brioche: it comes out looking really cool, or at least I think so, but then I'm easily entertained, and I can always tell where I am just by looking at it. The only drawback to this scarf is that I'm using two huge cones of yarn, at least a sweater's worth on each of them — in fact I experienced a slight pang at using them for a scarf when I really should save them for a sweater, but then I've been saving them for several years, and here they still are, and what is with this really should, anyway? But the cones are sort of awkward to carry around. So I have a pattern in mind for a second scarf that uses sock yarn; now I just have to decide which sock yarn to use. Here too I have large quantities of yarn that have been around for a while, and I keep looking at them and saying, "but that would make such pretty socks..." as though it made sense to hoard 17 years' worth of sock yarn. It's not even as though I couldn't buy more of most of this yarn, if it came to that. Eventually I'll figure it out.

2 Comments:

  • Ah yes, the urge to hoard untill you REALLY need it. That's how estate sales become filled with stunningly beautiful things that were put away to be saved for "good" and never, never got used. If you are going to knit, you need to get the yarn from somewhere? Why not use your stash? Why spend money on new yarn when you have perfectly good yarn takeing up space in your bedroom.

    Why not wind that cone yarn into a few cakes to make it easier to carry?

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:00 AM  

  • what a beautiful sky, the perfect moment at sunset when there's still enough blue to seem like day, and yet the moon is already gleaming.

    i've got to try brioche stitch one of these days. it sounds like fun.

    By Blogger the boogeyman's wife, at 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home