Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, September 15, 2008

Meme-ory Lane

There are a couple of posts rattling around in my head, but they require thought, of which I'm not capable at the moment. Therefore I steal from Margene...

Music Meme

The rules:
A) Go to Music Outfitters
B) Enter the year you graduated from high school in the search function and get the list of 100 most popular songs of that year
C) Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you hate and underline and/or italicize your favorite. Do nothing to the ones you don’t remember (or don’t care about)

I had trouble with some of these, as I liked them then but dislike them now, or associate them with my first serious boyfriend (i.e. really dislike them), or disliked them then but can take them or leave them now, or didn't much care for them then but now associate them with a good or funny memory. #3, Disco Lady, for instance, always makes me think of Grant's rendition of an SNL bit consisting of reciting the lyrics in a serious, precise voice reminiscent of Robert MacNeil (as in MacNeil/Lehrer: am I dating myself yet?). So I did it based on what I would now do if I heard the song on the radio, adding a couple more categories.
  • bold italic: turn up the volume and sing along loudly
  • bold: turn up the volume and sing along softly
  • italic: leave the volume where it is but smile nostalgically and possibly hum
  • plain: leave it be if I'm not paying attention, maybe look for something better if I am (or I don't know the song)
  • strikethrough: change the station
  • red strikethrough: lunge violently at the radio and break one or more fingernails trying to change the station as fast as possible
You know how smell is supposed to be the most powerful memory stimulant? There are smells that evoke powerful images for me, but a song can take me back to what I was doing and who I was with the first time or the last time I heard it.

  1. Silly Love Songs, Paul McCartney and Wings
  2. Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John and Kiki Dee
  3. Disco Lady, Johnnie Taylor
  4. December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night), Four Seasons
  5. Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry
  6. Kiss And Say Goodbye, Manhattans
  7. Love Machine (Part 1), The Miracles
  8. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon
  9. Love Is Alive, Gary Wright
  10. A Fifth Of Beethoven, Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band
  11. Sara Smile, Daryl Hall and John Oates
  12. Afternoon Delight, Starland Vocal Band
  13. I Write The Songs, Barry Manilow
  14. Fly, Robin, Fly, Silver Convention
  15. Love Hangover, Diana Ross
  16. Get Closer, Seals and Crofts
  17. More, More, More, Andrea True Connection
  18. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
  19. Misty Blue, Dorothy Moore
  20. Boogie Fever, Sylvers
  21. I'd Really Love To See You Tonight, England Dan and John Ford Coley
  22. You Sexy Thing, Hot Chocolate
  23. Love Hurts, Nazareth
  24. Get Up And Boogie, Silver Convention
  25. Take It To The Limit, Eagles
  26. (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty, K.C. and The Sunshine Band
  27. Sweet Love, Commodores
  28. Right Back Where We Started From, Maxine Nightingale
  29. Theme From "S.W.A.T", Rhythm Heritage
  30. Love Rollercoaster, Ohio Players
  31. You Should Be Dancing, Bee Gees
  32. You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, Lou Rawls
  33. Golden Years, David Bowie
  34. Moonlight Feels Right, Starbuck
  35. Only Sixteen, Dr. Hook
  36. Let Your Love Flow, Bellamy Brothers
  37. Dreamweaver, Gary Wright
  38. Turn The Beat Around, Vicki Sue Robinson
  39. Lonely Night (Angel Face), The Captain and Tennille
  40. All By Myself, Eric Carmen
  41. Love To Love You Baby, Donna Summer
  42. Deep Purple, Donny and Marie Osmond
  43. Theme From "Mahogany", Diana Ross
  44. Sweet Thing, Rufus
  45. That's The Way I Like It, K.C. and The Sunshine Band
  46. A Little Bit More, Dr. Hook
  47. Shannon, Henry Gross
  48. If You Leave Me Now, Chicago
  49. Lowdown, Boz Scaggs
  50. Show Me The Way, Peter Frampton
  51. Dream On, Aerosmith
  52. I Love Music (Pt. 1), O'Jays
  53. Say You Love Me, Fleetwood Mac
  54. Times Of Your Life, Paul Anka
  55. Devil Woman, Cliff Richard
  56. Fooled Around And Fell In Love, Elvin Bishop
  57. Convoy, C.W. McCall
  58. Welcome Back, John Sebastian
  59. Sing A Song, Earth, Wind and Fire
  60. Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, Tavares
  61. I'll Be Good To You, Brothers Johnson
  62. Shop Around, The Captain and Tennille
  63. Saturday Night, Bay City Rollers
  64. Island Girl, Elton John
  65. Let's Do It Again, Staple Singers
  66. Let 'Em In, Paul McCartney and Wings
  67. Baby Face, Wing and A Prayer Fife and Drum Corps
  68. This Masquerade, George Benson
  69. Evil Woman, Electric Light Orchestra
  70. Wham Bam, Silver
  71. I'm Easy, Keith Carradine
  72. Wake Up Everybody (Pt. 1), Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes
  73. Summer, War
  74. Let Her In, John Travolta
  75. Fox On The Run, Sweet
  76. Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac
  77. Got To Get You Into My Life, Beatles
  78. Fanny (Be Tender With My Love), Bee Gees
  79. Getaway, Earth, Wind and Fire
  80. She's Gone, Daryl Hall and John Oates
  81. Rock And Roll Music, Beach Boys
  82. Still The One, Orleans
  83. You're My Best Friend, Queen
  84. With Your Love, Jefferson Starship
  85. Slow Ride, Foghat
  86. Who'd She Coo, Ohio Players
  87. Walk Away From Love, David Ruffin
  88. Baby, I Love Your Way, Peter Frampton
  89. Young Hearts Run Free, Candi Staton
  90. Breaking Up's Hard To Do, Neil Sedaka
  91. Money Honey, Bay City Rollers
  92. Tear The Roof Off The Sucker, Parliament
  93. Junk Food Junkie, Larry Groce
  94. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again, Barry Manilow
  95. Rock And Roll All Nite, Kiss
  96. Disco Duck, Rick Dees
  97. The Boys Are Back In Town, Thin Lizzy
  98. Take The Money And Run, Steve Miller Band
  99. Squeeze Box, The Who
  100. Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In L.A.), Glen Campbell

Ahhhh... OK, back to 2008. Anything happen while I was gone? I sure hope not.

4 Comments:

  • I think we might have been in high school at the same time... maybe a year off... I'll go look. Funny, some of the ones you don't like I do and vice-versa, but many I don't even remember!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 6:15 AM  

  • We have a few crossover favorites. I really remember Peter Frampton. Went to see him live with a boyfriend. However, I surely must have broken many finger nails trying to turn off Disco Duck. Disco (in any form) killed Rock and Roll.

    By Blogger margene, at 7:38 AM  

  • Actually, I'm surprised not to see more red strike-outs. Your tolerance is astounding.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:30 AM  

  • hee hee. you've got a lot on that list that i remember. some good ones too.

    disco duck would not be one of them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home