Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Season of Plenty

Until a few days ago I didn't know for sure if I would make it to CTSW. I'd never been before, largely because for some reason I'd believed it to take place in the extreme southwestern corner of Connecticut, too far away for an easy day trip, and, with only so many parent brownie points to spend, I am all about the day trips. Even after learning the error of my ways I was still dithering, until Julie very kindly offered me a ride; all I had to do was show up at her house at 6:30 am. Which I did; I even fed Taz and showered before leaving home. I think I missed festival season more than I knew. We picked up Debbi and arrived at the festival promptly at 9; Julie and Debbi hurried off to find a demo they wanted to see, and I followed at a more leisurely pace.

CTSW is the smallest festival I've been to recently (I think the Fiber Frolic was smaller when it started, but it's been growing every year). This is by no means a bad thing: you can check out all of the vendors, watch a demo or two, and still have time to hang out and knit.

We watched a bit of the sheepdog trials.


The dogs were amazing as always. I almost wish we had enough land for sheep so I'd have something for a border collie to do. As it is we have nothing to herd but cats, and you know where that leads.


There was a bobbin-lace demo. My SIL used to make bobbin lace, but I think she gave it up. It looks like an awful lot of work, but the lace sure is pretty.


Baby angora bunnies remind me of tribbles; if there's anything softer I'd like to know what it is. These tiny ones were bent on escape; the kid whose 4H project they were quickly put them back in their cage when they started trying to squeeze under the edge of their little enclosure.

We ran into a whole skein of knitters, including Jess, Bev, and Manise (ssb), but my camera's battery chose that exact moment to die with a pitiful whimper, and it refused to deal with the new one I'd brought until I charged it. (Lesson learned.) So I didn't get any people pix, but you can find them (where else?) on other blogs. (All the very nice folks I met at the Ravelry meetup? I swore I would remember all your names, and they're all gone except Jen's. If you're reading this, leave a comment, willya?)


I did take one more picture after I got home, though: The Loot. Does anyone remember the name of the vendor selling those terrific batts? They were the first thing I saw while ambling after my traveling companions, and, being totally unable to resist this blue-purple one (surprise!), I hovered around until the vendor finished setting up, fearing that the blues might be all gone when I got back.

Sock yarn, check, Turkish spindle, check, but what's that boring-looking little brown skein? you may be asking. It's a bison-cashmere-qiviut blend, and it's heavenly. I got it at Still River Mill, egged on by a very evil brazenly enabling kind friend. Laurie's friend Connie was there too, and I last saw her getting her first spinning lesson from Marcy, having bought her first spindle a short time before. I tell you, do not get near Laurie at a festival. She is dangerous.

After the festival we repaired to Diane's house, where, in company with various knitters and spinners, we watched Judy demo my new Turkish spindle. The vendor had explained its mysteries to me rather quickly, but it was great to see it in action in the hands of a master. Thanks, Judy! And thank you, Diane, for such a gracious welcome and terrific goodies. (You haven't lived until you've tasted Diane's blueberry tart.)

So who's going to New Hampshire?

10 Comments:

  • Check with Debbi on the awesome shop with the fantabulous batts- they have a place in Middleboro I think and I'm pretty sure she took note of it.

    By Blogger Julie, at 7:11 AM  

  • Hi Fuchsia! I'm so glad I met you there and thrilled you had a wonderful time. :-) The CT S&W festival is definitely my favorite (although, in all fairness, I have only Rhinebeck to compare it to). After speaking with you, I couldn't help but wonder if you have a sister named Jane who lives in New York?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 AM  

  • Spin A Bit! That's the name of the batt people! See you at NH.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:09 AM  

  • Beautiful acquisitions! It was great to see you on Saturday! :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

  • What a lovely day! And what loot! I especially admire you handsome guard cat.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:44 AM  

  • I'm so glad you had a great day. Wish I could have been in two places at once!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 10:40 AM  

  • The Arachne lace email list was what first drew me onto the internet.

    I'm so glad you got to go -- fiber festivals are fun!

    And I, too, love your chocolate cat.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 10:41 AM  

  • Aha, the Luster Sox sneaked into your bag too! :-) I couldn't resist either. Boy is that stuff gorgeous. I got the most amazing red skein...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • I only speak to what is in your heart.

    Excellent selection of loot. Yes, I will be at NH.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • That Laurie causes trouble for a lot of people.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home