Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, January 04, 2008

Going for Brioche

When I first heard of Ravelry, I thought I didn't need it. I could see what people were knitting? That's what blogs and knitting groups are for, I said.

Only, as time went on, more and more blogs and more and more people in my knitting groups were talking about... Ravelry. I caved, I signed up (timing is everything: by the time I took the plunge there were over 20,000 people in line ahead of me), I got in, eventually, I love it. I waste spend all kinds of time surfing the forums, seeing what people are up to.

Since I was working on a double-knit project at the time, one of my first moves was to join the double-knitting group. There are people out there doing amazing things, and I wanted to learn more. Not too long afterward someone dropped by and asked about brioche stitch: was it the same as double knitting? Well, no, was the answer, although it's related. I looked up brioche rib in the Big Book of Knitting, where it's called double Shaker knitting, and I had to try the two-color version. Next thing I knew I was making a scarf for Taz's teacher, and then an afghan square, and then another one.


I really love this stitch: it's like corrugated rib, only it's squishy and elastic like a real rib, and each side is the inverse of the other. There's even a site devoted just to brioche.

A hat will be next, followed by... mittens? Maybe even a sweater? Only time will tell.

Ravelry has made my knitting life even less predictable, and I'm duly grateful. (And the line is much shorter now. As far as I can tell pretty much every knitter I know got in long before I did and, as noted above, refused to shut up about it; but if you've somehow remained innocent until now, you should really sign up. And if you're already in and we haven't run across each other, I'm FuchsiaLucia: stop by and say howdy.)

8 Comments:

  • Welcome to the best time suck of all time! What's your Rav name? I'll run over and look for you! OK, now you're bringing on some Brioche madness for me.

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:31 PM  

  • That brioche is soooo alluring. A Rav forum sent me to the website, and I was tempted, but remained faithful to the current WIP. Perhaps it would be easy to learn? Just a teeny swatch?

    By Blogger Wool Enough, at 7:50 PM  

  • Blue MOon has a Broiche sock that I've knit - love it!

    By Blogger Cece, at 8:20 PM  

  • I wasn't sure about Ravelry at first either but I was there right from the beginning and when there were only a handful of us it wasn't all that exciting. Now, though? It's my go-to-source for pattern information.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:57 AM  

  • I've been meaning to brioche... yours is lovely and enticing.

    By Blogger Annie, at 11:42 AM  

  • brioche is definitely on my 'I want to do this' list... Somehow i manage not to spend time in ravelry. I get enough grief about regular blogging!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 2:20 PM  

  • Thanks for the linky goodness, and for finally inspiring me to take pictures of two-color brioche rib on a double rake. Now I can cross that off my "meaning to do that" list!

    By Blogger Alwen, at 4:47 PM  

  • You are such a bright star in the firmament. Double brioche just because you didn't know how to do it? Woman, you blow me away on a regular basis!

    By Blogger roxie, at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home