Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Some Spinnin' To Do

Since I already had a fair amount of yarn and fiber, in the same sense that the South Pole has a fair amount of ice, I thought it would be good to exercise restraint at Rhinebeck this year. I remained true to this ideal for, oh, at least six or seven minutes after setting foot on the fairgrounds (we will pass over the incident at the souvenir tent, since 1) sweatshirts may be made of yarn, but they still don't count 2) they're really nice and warm).

The first thing we saw as we began our scoping, roughly 20 minutes after the gates officially opened, was the nearly-empty STR display at The Fold, with the line of happy and speedy knitters stretching toward the far horizon. I don't have a picture, natch, but you heard about it if you didn't see it. It was quite impressive, and we decided that, should we for some odd reason need more sock yarn, we could just as well order the stuff online, thanks just the same.

Right behind The Fold's booth (cue ominous music) lurked the lovely and talented Linda of Grafton Fibers. I was the proud owner of two beautiful batts before I knew what hit me. I returned on Sunday and bought a spindle (I will learn to spindle at least well enough to stop making that tired drop-spindle joke) and another batt. They saved some of the yummy batts for people who couldn't make it till Sunday. Have I mentioned how much I love these people?

And in between, in a maelstrom of shopping, there was sock yarn and undyed merino roving and Icelandic laceweight and needles and, yes, more sock yarn. The final haul:


Unaccountably missing from the picture is the Cushing dye I bought with the laceweight in mind. (Use your imagination — it comes in little manila packets.) The Tongue River Farm people were so nice; they did not recoil in horror when I asked about dyeing their yarn, but said they had had samples dyed and it took blues and purples beautifully.

This might keep me out of trouble for a while.

9 Comments:

  • I think you did very well -- a wide variety of things to keep you busy (since I know you have TONS of free time) and yet, the total amount seems quite restrained. You're a better woman than I would be, should I ever attend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

  • yeah, except, you posted a LINK to Grafton Fibers and that means I have to go buy fiber now, thanks very much!!! Because I spun up one of her batts once and loved it so much and then forgot WHO it was from and now I remember and...

    I blame you.

    But you did good at Rhinebeck. I'd have been much less restrained, I'm sure!

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 2:00 PM  

  • You found some good stuff! Nice colors on the Grafton Fibers batts, by the time I got to them they were pretty well cleaned out.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 6:09 PM  

  • Holy cow! That's some lovely stuff you've got there. If I had taken up spinning (teeth are gritted) I'd be jealous, but since I've yet to be bitten by that bug *ahem* I'm definately not. Jealous that is. Not at all. Really.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 PM  

  • nice haul. i think what saved me is that i'm such a newbie to the fiber folk that i don't know who to visit, and found my purchases by chance. imagine the damage that could have been done had i planned ahead!

    By Blogger maryse, at 9:29 PM  

  • I love that gorgeous dark blue right in the middle and the rest is no slouch either. Nice haul!

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:59 AM  

  • You know, I never get tired of that drop spindle joke.

    By Blogger Martha, at 10:54 AM  

  • You know, I never get tired of that drop spindle joke.

    By Blogger Martha, at 10:54 AM  

  • Lovely haul! And very funny descriptions, too. I read it aloud to Mr. E. He liked the ice reference (spent three months in the Antarctic in college, so had a vivid picture in his mind).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home