Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Elvis Was Here

Thanks for all the good wishes! Things are improving dramatically, although I'm still letting Grant do all the heavy lifting. (I knew there was a reason I married him.)

Meanwhile, Miss B is getting ready to leave tomorrow on her school's fifth-grade trip, a three-day extravaganza involving lots of scientific observation in the wild. Their packing list is a whole page of items such as warm clothes, rubber boots, warm clothes, raincoat (you must bring a raincoat! with a hood!), warm clothes, new sneakers, old sneakers (that don't care about getting wet), small backpack, and — you guessed it — warm clothes.

Needless to say, collecting all the necessary paraphernalia involves not only considerable prodding on my part ("you should be packing, not watching TV/using the computer/looking through your books/talking to a cat") but scouring the house for things that have vanished into the ether since the last time we saw them two or three months ago — of course, by now we can't recall where we saw them — as well as scrounging for required items most of which are either hiding or in some inscrutable way inadequate. Sample dialogue:

Me: Where's your blue hoodie?

MB: Mom, I don't know.

Me: Where did you see it last?

MB: I said, I don't know.

Me: (repressing sigh) How about your red one?

MB: It's too small.

Me: Too small? We just bought it last month.

MB: Well, OK, it's not too small, but I don't like it.

Me: You can make do for a couple of days.

MB: How about my pink one?

Me: What pink one?

MB: (pulls something from the back of a drawer with a flourish worthy of David Copperfield): This one.

Me: Where did that come from?

MB: Mom, I don't know.

The high (or low) point of yesterday evening was a room-to-room, closet-to-closet search for her bathrobe. Its last verified sighting was in Rangeley. Could we have left it there? We don't think so, given the number of times we went through the cabin to make sure we had everything, but I sure couldn't find it last night. On the other hand, when I looked in the front closet to verify that her raincoat really was not only hoodless but too small (yes), I discovered one that I had never seen before (it's bright yellow: how I missed it I don't know), with a hood, that fit her perfectly, hanging on a hook.

There's only one explanation: we've been visited by Elvis.

If you see him, please tell him I'll have a raincoat and some cashmere from Rhinebeck to trade for the stuff I want back. He should be easy to spot: he'll be wearing a periwinkle-blue bathrobe monogrammed with Miss B's initials.

8 Comments:

  • I never understood the whole Elvis thing, but now that you mention it, I think he has some of my favorite cookbooks.

    By Blogger NeedleTart, at 4:37 PM  

  • I think Miss B and Her Ladyship have been swapping tips on the subject of "How To Exasperate Your Parents To Death".

    This weekend should be fun.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 7:25 PM  

  • You are living my life! Only my searches will culminate in a dear daughter girlscout camping trip this weekend. I need rope still... and a tarp. May have to shop for those. Oh, and a sit-upon. Would Elvis have a sit-upon?

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:57 PM  

  • *sigh* And I thought it just happened to adults....especially adults who let their husbands bring clothes to the dry cleaners. And they never return, no they never return, and their fates remain a MYS-TERY.

    Disappeared into the ether? Is that the speedbump I feel when I put my patients to sleep?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM  

  • How wonderful that an acceptable raincoat and hoodie were discovered! Elvis, huh? So what does he want with all those single white socks he's been taking from our house?

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:53 AM  

  • re Ann's comment: I dearly wish that sit-upons were not just for the under-ten set. Waiting for the commuter train on a wet platform? A sit-upon would be so handy! Getting on a grotty subway car? Ditto! Eating lunch outside? Who cares if the grass is damp, you have your trusty sit-upon! Etc, etc.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 2:11 PM  

  • That's a ood one! My dad used to say he and my mom had a fourth child, and his name was "not me". Hope to see you at Rhinebeck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 PM  

  • You are one of my squares! I'll be looking for you on Saturday. How can you be spotted in the wild?

    By Blogger Steph, at 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home