Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Menagerie

Yesterday I went to NHSW with Donna and Lynne. We had an excellent time. Having slightly overshopped two weeks ago at CTSW, I decided that anything fibery would have to work extra hard to talk me into taking it home. (It does too talk. You just have to be listening.) Luckily I had less opportunity than usual to resist the siren songs, because everyone was there, and I kept bumping into friends all day long. After a couple of years that somehow seem like an eternity of knowing her only online, I met Suzanne and her charming family.


She was wearing a stunning shawl that she designed as she went along — dang, I wish I could do that, well, I can, but I wish I could do it as well as she did — and we talked about kids and politics and knitting.

A few days ago Norma was worrying that her red sweater wouldn't fit, wouldn't hang right, wouldn't look good on her, just all around wouldn't work.


I have no idea why. It's a perfect sweater in a perfect Norma color, and it looks like it grew on her. (How does she get the shoulder seams so perfect? I do not know.)

I was privileged to witness the culmination of five years of wheel lust.


Cate sat down and spun for maybe ten seconds, then pulled out her checkbook. As I had just been spinning on it myself and wishing that I could take it home without risking life and limb (the expression "fifth wheel" comes to mind in several senses), I was pleased to see it and Cate find each other. I also met Cate's lovely children. Are they not lovely?


Cheryl ate a pickle. We encouraged her to get some ice cream to go with it, but she was enjoying herself, not pandering to stereotypes.

And I saw Carole and Terry wearing her newly finished shawl, and Manise and Chris, whose fiber was its usual chatty self, and Martha and Marcy and Sandy and... what am I, a link machine? You know who you are.

And then there were the animals. I watched the sheepdog demo for a little while.


This is the first year I remember Dave's bringing his clever dogs and ever-patient sheep to NH. I see him with them every year at Fiber Frolic (anyone Frolicking this year? inquiring minds want to know), dogs are dogs and sheep are nervous, and I never get tired of the show.

I am all in favor of same-sex marriage (congrats to the state of Maine on recently becoming #5, and New Hampshire may follow very shortly).


I do generally prefer same-species marriage, but to each her own.


It's hard to blame anyone for loving the furry critters.

But the coolest thing I saw all day was not part of the plan. As I emerged from the restroom at the back of the fairgrounds, a movement near an unoccupied building caught my eye.




There were four of them, darting under the building (I think their den is probably under there somewhere), crawling back out again, stalking and pouncing and romping together. So cute! But I hoped everyone's lambs and bunnies would be safely locked up for the night.

Dang, I love festival season.

16 Comments:

  • Those foxes are so dang CUTE. But yes, hopefully all the prey was locked up safely that night. :)

    By Anonymous Norma, at 10:14 PM  

  • Interesting...Colleen's favorite pics from the weekend also seem to have been of those foxes.

    By Blogger Abraham Fisher, at 11:01 PM  

  • I'm glad we saw you coming in as I don't think I spotted you at all the rest of the day. Adorable foxes, nice find!

    By Blogger Julie, at 6:53 AM  

  • I wish I could relocate all those foxes to my garden to eat up all the squirrels and chipmunks. And they're sooooo cute as pups!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8:00 AM  

  • Excellent recap of the day!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 8:08 AM  

  • Love the little foxes! Thanks for sharing them.

    By Anonymous Joy, at 9:19 AM  

  • Fox pups? Squeee!

    Love the veiled llama. And the sheep and goats with the dog - classic photo!

    So, what DID you buy?

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:27 AM  

  • I've got some red squirrels those foxes could have.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:52 AM  

  • You had quite the adventure! Sounds like fun and I'm sorry I'm so far away!

    By Blogger margene, at 10:47 AM  

  • I guess Saturday was the day to go for knitting-peep sightings, says the woman who went on Sunday (but still had a perectly lovely time.) It is a nice little festival, isn't it?

    Love those darling fox pics. I didn't see them - must have been too distracted by yarn and a mouthful of lamb-kabob...

    By Blogger YawnOver, at 11:45 AM  

  • Love the fox pups!

    I'm so glad you had a good time and got to see lots of friends.

    Anything follow you home?

    By Blogger Cookie, at 3:05 PM  

  • I am SO glad you were able to get some pictures of the little foxes! No matter how hard I tried to see them, I just couldn't...

    They are adorable!

    It was good to see you this weekend!

    By Blogger Kim, at 5:18 PM  

  • Oh, adorable fox pups! So glad they stayed away from my building. And so glad you stopped by to chat with the fibers!

    By Anonymous Chris, at 6:35 PM  

  • Wicked cute little kits!

    NHSW, how far can it be from me? Maybe next year.

    So the best editorial here about same sex marriage (after it passed, before the editorials were mostly pro, with a few anti; after, they were mostly anti and scary) came from a republican. Who used all of the typical republican scare tactics against them! She advocated for separation of church and state, and said right now it's the christians in majority, if you all keep up the church in state thing, what will you do if it's the muslims? I thought it was funny that she used her own party's lines against them!

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 7:36 PM  

  • The foxes are adorable! Great pictures! And a great synopsis of a wonderful day! So glad I got to spend time with you!
    xo

    By Blogger Sandy, at 5:26 PM  

  • Your pictures (Cate in the act is superb, Cheryl is beautiful) are wonderful. But the foxes peg the Blogland pictometer. What a great find!

    You adroitly avoided mentioning what came home with you. *ahem*

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home