Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, May 04, 2009

WIP

When I turned 50 a couple of months ago I felt a sense of liberation. I'm old enough to know what matters and what doesn't, and certainly too old to worry about what people think of me. WYSIWYG, as they say in my business, and let the chips fall where they may.

Then came last Tuesday. The Ten on Tuesday was ten words people would use to describe you, and I felt as if I'd consumed a quart of ice cream in world-record time. I guess I still care a lot what people think of me, and I worry that some of it might not be good. As a friend said, inevitably some people won't like me, and since there's nothing I can do about it I shouldn't worry; and after decades of practice I actually almost have that one. It's the people who do like me that I get bent out of shape about: do they really? and why? Because if I start trying to analyze it, I'm damned if I can come up with a reason. Of course it's hard to think when your brain is frozen.

Nonetheless, I'm going to take a crack at this, if (almost) a week late, as a character-building exercise.

Ten Words People Would Use to Describe Me
  1. knitter
  2. spinner
  3. creative
  4. funny
  5. grammarian
  6. ailurophile
  7. sesquipedalian
  8. tangential
  9. unglamorous
  10. bookish
Well. That wasn't nearly so hard as I'd feared. The factual ones are indisputable and therefore easy, but there are a couple there that I really could use if asked "what are your strengths?" — which, as you might guess, is the interview question I dread the most. #8 btw is a description actually given not of me, exactly, but of my conversational style: after (again) decades of self-training I am capable of staying on the same topic for more than half a sentence, but it's not easy.

Are you still here? If you've patiently read through all of this omphaloskepsis, the least I can do is give you some eye candy, even if it is Monday.



Bring on the next Ten on Tuesday: I'm ready. I think.

11 Comments:

  • I agree that that was a hard list. I skipped it when I couldn't get past misanthropic hermit for myself. Don't analyze - people like you, they really like you. And wear purple. That's my motto. Thanks for the eye candy - the poor crab apple is often overlooked when the plums and cherries are in bloom. It's not an elegant tree but I love it.

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:16 AM  

  • And you wonder why I find you intimidating. *L*

    We like you and you're just going to have to deal with that fact. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.

    xo

    By Blogger Cookie, at 2:36 PM  

  • You forgot brilliant. (I don't even know what 6 & 7 mean and I'm too tired to look them up..) Nice seeing you last week even if it was only for a short time.
    Kathleen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:32 PM  

  • Whew - I had to look up #7, only to find that it also could be applied to me ;) Just accept that we like you!

    By Anonymous Joy, at 5:37 PM  

  • Good to see you blogging!!!!! Had to look up #6 (new one for me) and #7 (because I forgot)... such a philistine. You're SO FUNNY, that you can stay on topic for half a sentence! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Did you even mention this? Did you and I forgot (Sorry!)... but if you did, you didn't say 50 did you????? Omphaloskepsis is one of my very favorite words.

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 7:38 PM  

  • Happy Birthday!
    I love your positive perspective of your new age date! It would be interesting to ask your friends to come up with some words to describe you... you might be pleasantly surprised :-) love the spring images... may your future years be as grand as your present years!

    By Anonymous Janet, at 8:26 AM  

  • You left out resiliant, brave, strong, loving, nurturing, effective, affective and self-effacing.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:20 AM  

  • Well, I adore you -- and am happy to see you back in this space. Could we add "wise" to the list, though? You're one of my three go-to people for child-rearing and life-in-general advice.

    By Anonymous Erica, at 9:22 AM  

  • ... and inspirational and intriguing and quick and witty and fun and challenging and...

    By Anonymous Chis, at 8:01 PM  

  • tangential can also mean interesting ;-)
    there are some great things to being over 50!

    By Blogger Teyani, at 12:42 PM  

  • You're my smart friend - I have no idea what #s 6 and 7 mean. And almost don't want to know - such delicious words, they make me imagine all sorts of intellectual pursuits that I am a little intimidated of. It works. ;)

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home