Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ten on Tuesday


Today's Ten on Tuesday is ten Easter or Passover traditions. Since I was raised in a secular Jewish household, I have a few of each.

Ten Easter and Passover Traditions
  1. Egg dyeing and decorating. We used to blow eggs and paint the shells when I was a kid; when Miss B was younger she liked to dye hard-boiled eggs.
  2. Easter egg hunt. As kids we hunted jelly eggs; our kids liked the plastic ones with goodies inside. (You can get quite a few jelly eggs into one of those.)
  3. Chocolate bunnies. I wish they made them in dark chocolate.
  4. Which brings me to: Easter jokes. I'll refrain from telling you the one about the meaning of Easter for the zillionth time, but this is my all-time favorite Easter cartoon:

  5. Matzoh-ball soup. (Are you noticing that there's a lot of food in this list? Yeah, me too. I must be on a diet or something.) I'm not actually all that fond of matzoh balls, although people who are tell me I just haven't had the right ones yet. But I do remember the soup. If I could avoid the matzoh balls it was pretty good.
  6. Easter baskets. We used to make them just the way Carole said: fake green grass, lots of goodies.
  7. Which brings me to Cadbury creme eggs. They are disgusting. I love them.
  8. Peeps. Grant and Miss B love them. I admit they're cute, in a sickly marshmallow food-coloring sort of way. I want no part of them.
  9. Seders. I haven't been to one in quite a while, but I do enjoy them, and I like all the traditions.
  10. Singing the Hallelujah Chorus in church choir. I love to sing, even though I don't do it very well; luckily the Hallelujah Chorus is hard to mess up, and also a lot of fun. (I haven't been to church in a very long time, if you don't count weddings and funerals. Apart from singing, I don't miss it much.)

I'm completely with Carole on her #10: Easter means spring is almost here. Hard to believe in the midst of yet another deluge, but true. Happy Easter, happy Passover, happy spring!

6 Comments:

  • Oh, but they DO make dark chocolate Easter bunnies!!

    http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/Gifts/Order-Vermont-Chocolates/Dark-Chocolate-Easter-Bunny.aspx

    You're welcome.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 12:12 AM  

  • Get thee to a Lindt shop: dark, milk and white bunnies!

    Me, I like the Easter bread, the one with the hard boiled eggs baked in? And, hunting for eggs in the house (mom was a good easter egg hider!).

    I love Easter morning mass... all the little ones dressed in their Easter clothes and the sense of serenity.

    By Blogger Mini, at 8:40 AM  

  • Get out your water wings, sweetie! It's too late to build an ark.

    I love matzoh ball soup. I was raised Catholic and have just discovered it in the last two years. YUM!

    Peeps are icky. Cadbury eggs are divine!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:26 AM  

  • I grew up painting blown eggs too - we saved up for quite a while to have plenty to decorate. With you on the Hallelujah chorus :o)

    By Blogger joyknits, at 12:31 PM  

  • Ah, Cadbury eggs. Must find one before Sunday. Or maybe I should do the day-after--half-price-thing, just like after Valentine's Day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 PM  

  • Lindt makes dark choc bunnies too! And LOVE the joke. Thanks for that!

    By Blogger Carol, at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home