Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Saturday Sky: The Remains of the Day

The day in question was last Saturday at SPA. Yes, I am a little slow; this is not news. But last weekend we were smack in the middle of two weeks of nearly unrelieved dreich*. An overdose of rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, melting snow, and just plain unrelieved raw gray cold made me crave color even more than usual, including my usual hues but with a definite swing toward red.


From right to left we have the end of a much-needed sunny day illuminating superwash BFL from Heather, merino laceweight from Kim, organic merino from Amy, and a totally unexpected birthday gift of Kim's merino/nylon sock yarn from some of my fellow fiber addicts enthusiasts, including Kim. Thanks, guys! I needed that. (And it's even purple! Who knew I liked purple? ...oh. I guess... pretty much everybody.)

Truth to tell, I'd been working in red for quite a while. Last fall our dear Cheryl experienced a rather bumpy transition into motherhood, and some of us conspired to make her a blanket (in fact we made two blankets, one for Cheryl and one for her extremely supportive mom). It took us a while, but everything came together, and the grand unveiling took place at SPA. Many people pitched in...



...including one eager helper we could probably have done without.



The big reveal was a most enjoyable experience as people got to see where their squares landed, not to mention Cheryl's face.


I just love happy endings.
_________________________________________________________
*Dreich is a Scots word of which I've become fond and which I define in the next sentence. I find it highly expressive, especially as one can draw out the r, rolling it along, and likewise the ch, depending on the length and depth of the murk and how depressed it has made one.

5 Comments:

  • I love those make-a-square blankets! Mama looks very happy.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 8:22 AM  

  • Yay for you! Your spa haul is wonderful (of course). Taking charge of the blankets and having a party to sew them up is inspired. Nice work, Luchia!!

    By Blogger margene, at 9:04 AM  

  • The blanket looks GREAT! It was great to see you.

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 1:12 PM  

  • the happy smiles say it all.
    well done to all

    By Blogger Enid, at 7:28 PM  

  • That was a wonderful thing you did.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home