Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Favorite Movie Songs

The first seven were easy; after that I had to think. I really do like all of these, though.
  1. Somewhere, West Side Story: For my money, this is the greatest movie song of all time. Quoted in Dire Straits' Romeo and Juliet, another of my favorites, although not a movie song.
  2. Maybe This Time, Cabaret: I'm dating myself here, and picking an incredibly sappy song, but I've always loved it. Speaking of which...
  3. I Will Always Love You, The Bodyguard: Great song, although, truth to tell, I haven't actually seen the movie. I've never managed to hit that high note singing along with the radio, but I keep trying. Only if I'm alone, though.
  4. She's Like the Wind, Dirty Dancing: I basically agree with Roger Ebert that this isn't an especially good movie, but I do like the song.
  5. Pretty much anything from Coal Miner's Daughter: Sissy Spacek did an amazing acting job in this role and sang all the songs herself.
  6. It Must Have Been Love, Pretty Woman: I'm just a sucker for highly singable, sappy songs.
  7. Mrs. Robinson, The Graduate: I still know all the words, lo these (mumble) years later.
  8. Symphony #4 in A major, "Italian," by Felix Mendelssohn, Breaking Away: This might or might not qualify as a song, but it's the perfect choice of music for the movie.
  9. As Time Goes By, Casablanca: The classic movie song.
  10. Springtime for Hitler, The Producers: I wish I hadn't thought of this one; now I won't be able to get it out of my head.

4 Comments:

  • Spring time - for Hitler - and Germany. Winter - for Poland - and France . . .

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:52 AM  

  • Again with the philistine thing... The only movie song I know that I know is from a movie is Dino Martino's "Volare" from "Moonstruck". Made me go out and get a tape (a TAPE!) of his greatest hits... it was great hollering music in the car on long drives... Did your neighbor tell you what that plant was??????

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:03 PM  

  • What about "A Hard Day's Night"-- and just about every other song from the eponymous movie?
    Gretchen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 PM  

  • i love the movie breaking away. it's one of my all time favorites.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home