Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Mountains to Climb

After ignoring and/or being ignorant of it for several years I finally signed up for the Tour de Fleece this year. I signed up for the Ravelry group, anyway; I don't know if there's an official roster anywhere. In any case, since I'm already spinning ten minutes a day, I thought the Tour might be fun. Spin a little, or a little more, every day? What could be better?

Until I read Stephanie's post today, I had somehow managed to skip right over the "challenge" part of it. Reading the second sentence of her post, I began to consider what how I should reach deeper to find that extra gear.


I've been spinning Amy's beautiful merino on Wendy pretty much since I acquired them both at Fiber Frolic, which was, yikes, almost a month ago. I think I've finished about half of the first four-ounce braid; in my defense, I'm spinning laceweight, but even so, that's not going to set any speed records. So, I thought, why not stretch to finish both? That would be a total of about six ounces, or, for my friends outside the US (pauses to operate calculator), about 168 grams. Not a bad goal, I thought.

Happy to get that settled, I continued reading Stephanie's post. In what she calls a bow to reality, she has scaled back her ambitions: two kilos might be a little much, she thought, so she is proposing to spin a mere 1500 grams of fiber.

Just look back, make out that speck waaaay at the bottom of the hill, and wave once in a while.

7 Comments:

  • I've joined the Tour, too. Baby Camel/Tussah Silk (only 2 oz.) is my challenge but it's a hard devil to spin into a lace weight.

    By Blogger margene, at 7:28 AM  

  • Good on you! I feel like I can't take time out to spin as I have to finish the sweater I'm knitting so I can start Christmas. How's that for attention deficit disorder overcompensation?! I'll watch you pedal uphill.

    By Blogger Annie, at 8:32 AM  

  • There is such a thing as setting the bar too high. What will Stephanie have to sacrifice to get all that fiber spun? (sleep?) Will she actually reach her goal? Your goal is reasonable and achievable. And should be enjoyable. Good on you!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:38 AM  

  • Oh, look, my colors!

    By Blogger Danielle, at 11:22 AM  

  • beautifulbeautifulbeautiful colors! I LOVE blue!

    Oh, and GO LUCIA!! :-) (that's my cheer)

    By Blogger AngeliasKnitting, at 1:58 PM  

  • oh wow... that is GORGEOUS fiber. I love the colors - have fun spinning it!

    And thanks for all the comments on my blog! Glad to know it hasn't been completely forgotten in my long absence. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 PM  

  • The idea of a challenge is not to match the crazy insane spinners. Your blue is SO BLUE. I love it.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home