Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, April 18, 2008

Eye Candy Friday: Redbud Maple


While I know they're about as rare as wool at Rhinebeck, I've always loved the flowers of the redbuds maple. There seem to be at least two common species in New England — Lisa can undoubtedly identify all of them by both vernacular and scientific names — and I took a whole whack of pix of them in the gorgeous weather we've been having lately, with Saturday in mind. Consider the above a taste of things to come.

Note: I stand corrected. I've always called the maples that make these flowers redbud maples or just redbuds. As Alwen points out, they are in fact red maples, and the redbud is a whole different critter. You learn something new every day. I will still have more pix of, um, those trees there tomorrow.

6 Comments:

  • I heard Redbud and I think of Funny Farm. I just can't help it.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:35 PM  

  • Looks like the beautiful flowers of the scarlet maple, Acer rubrum, to me.

    Redbud flowers (Cercis canadensis) usually are a purplish-pink or sometimes white. They are a leguminous shrubby tree, and the flowers come right out of the branch! Then they make a thin flat pod like a peapod.

    Maples usually bloom about three weeks earlier than the redbud here in Michigan.

    (Sorry, some people have Conan the Grammarian: I got the brain that aspires to be Hortus Third!)

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:03 PM  

  • i think we have a couple of these in our yard. and what's funny is that i had never noticed these buds before until this year.

    By Blogger maryse, at 11:46 PM  

  • Well I'm glad somebody is setting Conan straight here! Alwen must be related to me somehow.... Mostly I know A. rubrum as red maple. Redbuds aren't native trees around these parts, though they are occasionally planted in protected spots. They are one of the very few things I liked about central PA. Springtime when the redbud and dogwood bloom across the hillsides, very pretty.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:59 AM  

  • Are red maples red, or do the leaves come in green like most of the other maples? The only maples I recognize are bigleaf, broadleaf and Japanese.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:46 AM  

  • Whatever they are, they're a harbinger of spring, and I'm all for that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home