Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saturday Sky: Great Expectations


Have you seen Roxie's magnolia pictures? In the Pacific Northwest the magnolias are blooming in all their voluptuous glory. Here in New England we just have buds, but they're getting bigger every day. In a few weeks the tall trees will be sporting tiny leaves, and my neighbor's magnolia will have its day in the sun.


I took the train into Cambridge today for my double knitting class hosted by the lovely Lucy at Mind's Eye Yarns.


The class was taught by the double-knitting Master himself. (I got a close look at his amazing triple-knit cable hat. It's amazing.) We'll be knitting a hat in the round in two-color reversible double knitting. We made a gauge swatch, casting on using a technique that was new to me, then cast on for the hat. I got as far as knitting the first round, so I didn't bother taking a picture of it, especially as I may have to frog if I turn out to have the wrong number of stitches after I figure out what motif(s) to use. There will be much experimental charting. We have a little over a month before the second half of the class to chart and knit the hat up to the beginning of the decreases.

It looks like I'm in for a busy spring.

4 Comments:

  • You live close enough to Cambridge that you can take the train in? Is that where Conan got the grammar smarts?

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 8:40 AM  

  • took the train to Cambridge today." What a splendid first line for a novel. It sets the scene, the mood, the whole tone of the piece. And oh what a wonderful workshop! I am in such envy!

    By Blogger roxie, at 2:55 PM  

  • There are definite advantages to living near the cities, like LYS and knitting classes. (And my son says, "And no manure!")

    OTOH, I do like living where they grow the blueberries.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 4:00 PM  

  • Oh, I'm so glad you're taking that class! yay! so much the double knitting thing with you, and he IS the double knitting wizard par excellence. Yay!!

    By Blogger Liz, at 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home