Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Unfurling


For the past year I've been under treatment for what I refer to as a plumbing problem. (I decline to bore you with the gory details, but if you want them, click here.) I've suffered from it for about 20 years. I'm lucky, sort of, in that it doesn't threaten my life, livelihood or mobility; it just hurts. A lot.

Or rather, it did. The treatment involves a highly restricted diet (no chocolate, coffee, cheese or tomatoes; no fruits except blueberries and pears; no pork; no vinegar -- do you have any idea how many condiments contain vinegar? -- and those are just the high points), a rigid schedule of fluid intake and outgo, four different medications, and biweekly visits to the doctor's office for additional treatment (it was one of these that kicked off the saga of Peter and Paul with which I regaled you the other day). All of which is an extremely royal pain in the neck, except for one thing: it's working.

At my first appointment a year ago I was asked how much pain I was in on a scale of 1 to 10, and I think I said about 3. Now that it's gone? It was at least a 5. I don't know how I lived with it all those years. I should say it's mostly gone: I'm down to 1, maybe 1/2 on good days, of which there are many. It's a minor nuisance, not a ball and chain.

I was spending a ton of energy keeping the pain at bay. Now that it's (mostly) gone, I feel like a leaf unfurling on a warm spring day. I'm not sure what I'll do with my newfound freedom yet; at the moment I'm just enjoying the sunshine.

13 Comments:

  • Geez, the diet restrictions sound trying, but I'm glad that they are working.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 10:52 PM  

  • Are the dietary restrictions permanent? Good that they're working, though ....

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8:18 AM  

  • Ah, the joy of crappy medical things they have the desired outcome. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But worth it!

    By Blogger Cece, at 8:48 AM  

  • Yayyy! Freedom from pain is SO energizing! Hooray for good results to your miserable fast. Yayyyyy!!!!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:55 AM  

  • I'm really happy for you. It would suck to give up all those things and not reap any benefit.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 10:44 AM  

  • I'm so glad you're unfurling. It's a lovely analogy. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 PM  

  • i'm glad you're feeling better. i wonder what it is about those foods that make the symptoms worse. so random that blueberries and pears are ok but apples aren't. isn't it?

    but at least you're feeling good. and that's the most important.

    By Blogger maryse, at 1:57 PM  

  • Glad to hear it's working! (who needs vinegar, anyway? ;o) )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM  

  • Yay! Good for you. I think we adjust to discomforts, unevennesses in our lives (selves) without realizing sometimes what it is to be truly well. So I saw that pic and had instant envy and then I wondered, is she REALLY looking at blossoms opening this week? IT SNOWED again today! But I shouldn't feel bad... a niece type person told me today that they've had over 500 inches!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:10 PM  

  • I had no idea! I sure am happy to hear it's improving so well! Unfurl girl! Hope you feel as pretty as the colors in your photo!

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:40 PM  

  • I am so, so glad it's working, and huzzah for pain-free. Really.

    By Blogger Liz, at 10:05 AM  

  • I'm so glad you're feeling better!

    By Blogger ikkinlala, at 3:55 PM  

  • The diet stuff sounds SO worth it. The things we take for granted until they don't work, or hurt when they work.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home