Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Quit That

Because I've been staring down the barrel of a big work deadline, with that black hole getting ever closer, I haven't been as good a citizen of blogland as I would like. I'll be back to my regular round of reading and commenting soon, I swear. I'd better be.

This same issue has made it hard to come up with blog fodder (have you noticed the dearth of knitting posts lately? yeah, me too), so again I turn to Ten on Tuesday, since today's is another easy one: ten favorite movie comedies.

Without further ado:
  • King of Hearts The only movie I've seen in a theater more than five times.
  • A Fish Called Wanda Don't call me stupid!
  • The Birdcage/La Cage Aux Folles When I saw The Birdcage I was eight months pregnant with Miss B. Thought there would be a blessed event right there in the theater, I was laughing so hard.
  • There's Something About Mary Raunchy, tasteless and... funny. I even forgive it the one horribly sexist scene where, if I'd been Mary, I'd have said, "Show me where it says I have to pick one of you. Out, you pack of losers, everybody out!"
  • The Producers I'm hysterical and wet!
  • The Truth About Cats and Dogs As Roger Ebert said, you can't help laughing at a dog on roller skates.
  • Tootsie Not the first and by no means the last of many great movies starring serious well-known actors in drag.
  • While You Were Sleeping Great stars. Also great supporting characters. (Who told?)
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail Couldn't I have just a little peril?
  • The Princess Bride For my next birthday I want a ROUS.
So what did I miss? What would you put in, and what would you take out?

8 Comments:

  • Good list! I forgot about Best In Show for my list. I keep coming up with them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 AM  

  • Young Frankenstein!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:41 AM  

  • Ha! Your #1 is my #1! Hands down favorite of all time, and like you, the only movie I have seen a lot in the theater. I also have seen and like about half of the rest... I am a sucker for some of the Arnold movies, the Terminator types (not Predator, way WAY too serious). Oh, and Star Trek, any generation, any show, any movie.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:22 AM  

  • "Bringing up Baby" with Grant and Hepburn. She is so delightfuly daffy!

    "The Apple War" A Swedishdelight about a witch and her pals preventing a German company from paving a lovely valley and building a "DeutchneyLand." One of her brothers keeps kissing frogs because, you never know, one MIGHT be an enchanted princess.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:18 AM  

  • I do like Princess Bride, but I wish the RON(ormal)S would stay out of my house!

    By Blogger Alwen, at 10:04 AM  

  • I love the King of Hearts too. Genevieve Bujold was soooo young and beautiful in that movie.

    Young Frankenstein definitely - any Mel Brooks movie really.

    And Spaceballs - I don't know why but that movie makes be laugh every time I watch it.

    And Harold and Maude (not sure if that rates as a dark comedy or not)

    By Blogger Witchypoo, at 11:44 AM  

  • Love your list, though there are a few I haven't seen. Holy Grail would definitely be near the top for me. Here are a few others:

    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

    Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Sex but Were Afraid to Ask

    Little Miss Sunshine

    Thanks for posting - I love hearing everyone's favorites!

    By Blogger YawnOver, at 3:12 PM  

  • you've got some good ones on your list. i forget how funny "there's something about mary" is.

    By Blogger maryse, at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home