Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Name That Tune

The movie meme that made the rounds a few weeks ago was so much fun (although I could only identify the really easy ones that dozens of people got before me) that I'm branching out into song lyrics.

The rules: Below are ten first lines of songs (using the term "song" quite loosely in some cases). You name the song and either its author or at least one artist or group who performed it, I cross the line out, identify the song and put your name in lights. And, again, looking them up is cheating, please don't. I'll add one more caveat: if you have total recall of every lyric you've ever listened to, sung, hummed, or overheard mentioned on the subway (not that I am thinking of anyone in particular here), please limit yourself to one identification, at least for the first 24 hours.

I think some of these are very easy, some are obscure. It'll be interesting to see what goes first.

1. Getting crazy on the waltzers, but it's the life that I choose

2. It's the 10th of January and I still ain't had no sleep

3. A long, long time ago, I can still remember American Pie, Don McLean, Zana

4. Hello, baby, hello Harmony, Elton John, Julie

5. O Freunde, nicht diese Töne! Ninth Symphony/Ode to Joy, Beethoven, CDG

6. Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone Fire and Rain, James Taylor, Mbr (do you have a blog? Blogger tells me nothing)

7. Feelin' better, now that we're through You're No Good, Linda Ronstadt, Chris

8. I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told The Boxer, Simon and Garfunkel, Margene

9. The lamp is burning low upon my tabletop Song for a Winter's Night, Gordon Lightfoot/Sara McLachlan, Carole

10. Comfort ye, comfort ye my people Messiah, Handel, Ruth

Knitting? What knitting? One of these days I'll have knitting to show you. Really.

12 Comments:

  • Ooh!

    3. American Pie performed by Don McLean.

    Mmmm... pie...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:16 PM  

  • 6. James Taylor Fire and Rain

    By Blogger mbr, at 6:18 AM  

  • #9 is Song for a Winter's Night. It's one of our favorites.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:02 AM  

  • #8 is the Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel!

    By Blogger margene, at 7:30 AM  

  • The last one is either Handel or Godspell.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8:40 AM  

  • #4 is Harmony by Elton John

    By Blogger Julie, at 9:01 AM  

  • Delurking to add that #5 is the opening choral line from the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, "Ode to Joy."

    By Blogger Cameron, at 9:05 AM  

  • Hmmmm - could you hum a few bars for me? This is a great meme, and I am utterly clueless.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:24 AM  

  • #7 is You're No Good by Linda Ronstadt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 PM  

  • Decloaking of the starboard bow to quibble a bit about the Beethoven. The quoted line is actually not sung by the chorus, it's sung by a solo bass.

    And you haven't lived if you've never heard it in the original Klingon:

    "tIvghach, Qun'a' 'ul 'IH SoH . . "

    Qapla'!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 PM  

  • Wow...I had no idea I was THAT musically clueless! LOL The only one knew was The Boxer, and a few of the others were "Oh, yeah!" when I saw the answer, but for many, even after I looked them up, I still haven't a clue! LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:01 AM  

  • ha - okay, I gave up and googled and lo, the remaining ones are a) a song I have never heard, and b) a song I have never been able to make out the lyrics to (though it has passed by my ears a few times).

    Ah, well. I leave you with one of my favorites lately:

    Something has changed within me
    something is not the same
    I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game
    Too late for second-guessing,
    too late to go back to sleep,
    it's time to trust my instincts,
    close my eyes, and leap -
    it's time to try defying gravity.

    By Blogger Liz, at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home