Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, February 11, 2008

Peaceful Easy Sweater

I have to confess something. Relax, it's not about crochet, nor even eyelash yarn. I've always maintained that I am not a plain-stockinette person, that I need at least a tiny rib or cable or something (preferably a cabled rib) to hold my interest, and do not try to tempt me with that multicolored yarn, I alone will decide when the yarn changes colors, thank you just the same. (Control freak much?)

But now I am working on the miles and miles and miles of st st inherent in the incredibly plain sweater I hope to have finished by Wednesday night, and... there's something strangely hypnotic and peaceful about it. I'd take another picture, but it would look a lot like the first one: look at yesterday's, and imagine it somewhat longer. You will also have noted that the yarn isn't even fancy: it's two-ply, one black strand and one blue one, so although it's very soft it has a tweedy look. (It's a Bernat yarn called Alisa, 35 wool/35 acrylic/30 alpaca, that had been marinating in my stash for quite some time.) No space-dyed or self-striping action going on here.

I don't know what's come over me. I'm going to go think about it while I knit.

9 Comments:

  • I think sometimes we need the simple stitch just to keep the mind clear. The two yarns your working with do sound nice though.

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 10:59 PM  

  • I actually like plain stockinette, and in a plain yarn. Though sometimes I fall asleep knitting it... other times I like to see just how much I can get done.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:13 AM  

  • The first time I found myself doing that, I was making a bag I planned to felt. Round and round and round, just knitting. Who knew it could be so peaceful and meditative?

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:34 AM  

  • Keeping the fingers busy frees the mind. Repetitive movements are meditative and soothing. There's a LOT to be said for stockinette!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:47 AM  

  • Maybe it's the zen thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM  

  • Maybe you just need a little rest, and this is how it comes out. One thing's for sure, you're going to have a really nice sweater when you're done:)

    By Blogger Carol, at 1:41 PM  

  • It's a simple stitch with an end in sight. It's flow.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 4:56 PM  

  • You know, I know just how you feel. I look as St St patterns and wonder if I will die of boredome, but recently I finished a piece with a lot of garter stitch and it was calming and fast and meditative. Now I am working on Seraphim, lots of st st, and feeling the same. I have to admit, though-I am looking forward to the lace section.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 PM  

  • Stockinette soothes the soul, especially just knitting in the round. So lovely and my favorite! :-)

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home