Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tension on the Tour

So I've been spinning the blue merino on Wendy, and the bobbin looks about half full, although it's probably more like a third since the more yarn there is on the bobbin, the bigger the circumference of bobbin-plus-yarn. And I'm finding that I have to adjust the tension to get the yarn to wind on before it gets overspun, which I think is pretty normal as a bobbin fills. But I seem to need to adjust it every couple of minutes, and the maiden is now definitely tilting outward away from the drive wheel.

The drive band is a piece of linen string, which I wouldn't have thought would stretch much if at all, but apparently it does. Can I fix this problem simply by using cotton string instead? Or will it stretch too? At the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to spin up what's left of the first braid, never mind starting the second.

3 Comments:

  • Have you thought of waxed linen thread? You can get it at bead shops. Or in my barn. So come on over, I'll make some iced coffee... or iced something, though it is actually very pleasant today and not a torrid affair...

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 9:30 AM  

  • I read your post but I don't really know what it said - I'm not fluent in Spinning.

    I think you should just show pictures of the pretty fiber/yarn. :-)

    By Blogger AngeliasKnitting, at 10:00 AM  

  • I don't know anything about spinning, but linen is a plant fiber and will react to humidity.

    I found this out after I had blithely wound a linen warp on my loom and was merrily weaving away: my weaving teacher was horrified and told me a long list of things I had to do, that I hadn't done, or the warp threads would break!

    Turns out this didn't apply to a linen warp in Michigan's soggy-humid August weather. Luckily!

    By Blogger Alwen, at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home