Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful Thoughts From the Kitchen

Today I spent a lot of time in the kitchen, baking pies and discovering that our fridge, which was fixed a couple of weeks ago, had once again lost its cool. So I am thankful for:
  • Refrigeration. In the old days they had iceboxes, literally; my dad recalls putting a sign that said ICE on it in big red letters in a front window to let the ice man know that he needed to deliver a new block of ice, which he would do, and it would last, I don't know, I think a week or thereabouts. A fridge is a much more convenient thing, except of course when it's not frigid. I'm also thankful for the appliance guy who showed up about 40 minutes after I called (on the afternoon before Thanksgiving yet) and didn't charge me for replacing the apparently defective part he put in a couple of weeks ago. Which is as it should be, of course, but I'm thankful to have an appliance service company nearby that actually knows the meaning of the word service.
  • The modern oven. Have you ever noticed all the wonderful things they bake in old books, with nary a thermometer to tell them when or at what distance from the fire the oven temperature is 350 degrees? It's a marvel. I am also thankful for my neighbor Linda and her oven, as ours doesn't seem to be working quite right at the moment. I suspect we may be seeing more of the appliance guy soon.
  • Stepping away from the kitchen for a moment while things are cooking (or not exactly cooking, as the case may be), our electric clothes dryer, as opposed to the solar-powered one, which doesn't work so well when there's no sol. I try to dry outside whenever possible, but when it's rained for three days straight and the Random Laundry Generator is going full speed, I'm grateful for the backup.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 Comments:

  • The wonders of the modern world! I have an appliance repair guy like yours and I'm always quite thankful for him. He's reliable, he's honest, and he's punctual. He even has fair prices and he's a friend. All good!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Lucia.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:16 AM  

  • Amen! Let's hear it for modern mechanisms! Imagine learning how to bake a cake when you had to blend your own baking powder, adjust your oven temperature by the size and kind of wood you loaded into it, (and then all that magic with dampers)judge the temperature by holding your hand in the oven, then maintain that temperature for up to an hour? There was a LOT more art to being a good cook in the old days. I would have been the burned biscuit queen.

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home