Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, November 23, 2009

Simple

Lately I've been rereading The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel. Grant first made the criticism about The Mammoth Hunters, but it still holds true: the Cro-Magnon people in the books seem like suburban yuppies with a strange predilection for living in caves. They (and Roxie's comment yesterday) do make me think about some of the luxuries I take for granted. In keeping with the holiday I plan to devote extra time to them this week.

So today I am thankful for:
  • Clean running water. Have you ever considered how heavy water is? A short hike with a water bottle is enough to convince me that hauling my own would be way too much work.
  • Water heaters. I've lived without hot showers for a week or two. You'll never get me to vacation anywhere that doesn't have them.
  • And, of course, the modern flush toilet. Thomas Crapper (yes, really), we owe you.

4 Comments:

  • Imagine doing the laundry when you have to carry all the water half a mile from the crick? I would have died young just to get some rest.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:12 AM  

  • Hot running water and antibiotics: you bet I'm thankful. Add corrective lenses to the list, too.

    If you'd like a better (imo) novel of Cro-Magnon days, read "Reindeer Moon" by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Gretchen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 PM  

  • I am sooo grateful for water. I save much of my dishwater to use on the garden and lugging it just a hundred yards is tough enough.

    By Blogger Carol, at 12:18 PM  

  • You are SO right.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home