Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Name That Species!

How did I manage to have a great time at the Maine Fiber Frolic and not tell you about it? I haven't been blogging all that much lately, (mostly) by choice, but clearly I am slipping. Probably I am the last to know. Anyhow, I did have a great time at Fiber Frolic, and I didn't even buy any yarn. Really. It wasn't easy, either. I spent most of the day with the Three Evil Enablers.


There they are, a covey of Enabilatrix malefica in the wild. We spent quite a bit of time in just one booth...


admiring the wares of Nanney Kennedy, creator of Seacolors Yarn. She hand-dyes them in seawater, and she gets gorgeous, subtle blends of color. Only because I had just been through all my yarn again was I able to refrain from simply buying all of her stock and bringing it home with me. Lisa and Ginny, their resistance weakened by repeated contact, did succumb. I know I will run into Nanney again, and I know I won't be able to hold out forever.

I had planned to spend both days of Fiber Frolic weekend Frolicking, but having seen pretty much everything on Saturday, and knowing that with me resistance is, if not futile, at least not to be pushed too far, on Sunday I just hung out with my folks; it was a beautiful day (hard to remember now that early June before the monsoon hit was quite splendid), and we strolled down to the water. There was a biggish bird with several babies swimming around, and although I know enablers when I see them, with birds I have a tougher time.


Does any intrepid ornithologist out there know what this is?

Finally, it was time to leave. I had noticed on the way up that the roadsides were bordered by pink flowers I'd never seen before.


Is this the spiky invasive thing you were talking about, Lisa?

7 Comments:

  • You said you refrained from buying ALL of Nanney's stock -- does this mean you bought none, or left her with one or two skeins, which would, technically, mean that you didn't buy it all?

    Glad you had a good time, and saw fit to share it with us!

    By Anonymous Erica, at 11:33 PM  

  • It sure look like a loon to me. I know that pink flower too but I can't think of the name without my wildflower key. Now if I could just find the box with all the field guides!

    By Blogger Julie, at 8:02 AM  

  • Oooh, such restraint! That can be absolutely *painful* when exercised at a fiber festival.

    I like Erica's interpretation, heh heh.

    By Blogger YawnOver, at 11:23 AM  

  • Heya! I've been a bad bad blog reader lately... You'refunnyyouknow.

    I say the bird is not a loon. The bill is all wrong, as is the patterning/coloring. But WHAT is it?? I'm wondering a goose of some sort? The bill is right for that. Immature Canada goose? Do they have that white stripe on their necks? Even maybe it looks like a female common eider. Where'd you see it?

    I think that plant is Ragged Robin, roadside weed, but not invasive.

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 2:58 PM  

  • Was that this weekend? I always miss the cool stuff.
    And that does look like a loon to me, but I'm from SOUTHERN New England, so...

    By Anonymous Dave Daniels, at 5:42 PM  

  • I'm thinking maybe some kind of female or immature scoter - it looks to be floating too high in the water for a loon to me. I'm not familiar with seashore birds, although Lake Michigan has gulls & Lake Superior has plenty of loons.

    The flower looks to be a ragged robin, Lychnis flos-cuculi.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 12:52 PM  

  • I know nothing. But I am impressed that you resisted. I'm finding that my fiber diet is relative.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home