Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Knit-a-Thon

The Pine Street Inn Knit-a-thon today was a huge success; I believe we had assembled over 30 blankets by the end of the afternoon from the vast numbers of squares contributed by a horde of knitters and crocheters. (I did finish my 20 squares, although I'll admit that I completed the last one at the event. If anyone saw a woman frantically knitting away on the Red Line today, that was me.)

The most fun was working as a team to assemble a blanket. When I arrived I found an empty space at a table already occupied by Dave, Betsy, and a couple of other people; they had already picked out 35 squares to put together, and Dave had come up with a brilliant layout. (Not Dave, Dave. Dave learned to knit expressly for the Knit-a-thon, and he is awesome, as are Dave and Dave.)


As soon as I finished my final square I started seaming. I quickly learned that I need a refresher on mattress stitch, because mine was not invisible as it is supposed to be — although in my defense invisibility is hard to pull off when you're sewing a bright yellow square with green yarn. We all persevered, however, and our best proved good enough.


We seamed squares to squares and, eventually, rows to rows.


Finally the blanket was done. It looked as if it had been planned from the beginning.


Other blankets were more eclectic, being assembled from random assortments of squares of similar color and fiber content. (See the beige square in the second row? It's one of mine. There was something about seeing it there in the midst of all those beautiful squares made by people I didn't even know. It was... a feeling of being a small part of something bigger and better. Cliché but true.)


Not a bad afternoon's work.

I will shortly identify the winner of the contest to guess the number of squares I would make; one lucky donor to my fundraising page will also win a prize. (I believe the page will remain up at least until the end of the month.)

5 Comments:

  • Well done!

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:06 AM  

  • You got to sew with Dave? Dave got to sew with you? What felicity for both of you! The blankie looks great!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:17 AM  

  • TEN posts since I visited, wow! I thought after I left the squares w/ you that one of them was kind of itchy... it was so squishy and soft on the ball. WOW, you did a lot of work! I have not visited any McCain forums, don't know if I could stand it. Have you seen an email called "dear red states"? Let me know if not and I'll forward it to you... got it election night eve and it cracked me up, but in that way that you're sad about the truth of some of it.

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 5:01 PM  

  • And not Dave, either. :)

    By Blogger Jena, at 9:31 AM  

  • What a wonderful project.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home