Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, July 11, 2008

Ignoramus

Yesterday's post, I realized not long after posting it, was middling silly, since, after all, what could anyone tell me except "try it and see"? Believe it or not, I thought I might be doing something wrong because I had to adjust the tension constantly — a failure of spinning technique, a miscomprehension of the wheel's mechanics, since Wendy is by far the fanciest wheel I've ever had, or who knows. The linen drive band had been put on at the Frolic by someone who seemed more learned than I in these matters, so I figured the lack was in me.

And it may well have been, but last night the drive band put me out of my indecision by disintegrating entirely, so that I was forced to create a new one out of the cotton string recommended by the Wheel Goddess, on which I had stocked up and which, miraculously, it took me only a couple of minutes to find even though I had no memory of putting it where I found it. Which I did, and all is now well. There will undoubtedly be more pictures of blue yarn.

As if I were not already feeling dumb enough, yesterday we got a new camera. It's a Sony DSC-H50, with bells and whistles undreamt of in my photographic philosophy, and thank heaven it has a mode labeled EASY, because otherwise it would take me years of study to get up to speed on the thing.



This is a really nice camera.

5 Comments:

  • And those are really nice photos.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 AM  

  • Fancy schmancy! So a week or so ago I was having some computer problem, which it turned out was simply because I didn't up my license level for the software (it costs us twice as much to use the high level, but for the 'import/export' option that's what we need). And I was telling the server guy how stupid I felt, and he said that he'd recently spent an hour trying to figure out some problem... turned out he simply kicked the wire out and something wasn't plugged in.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 8:03 AM  

  • No matter how many bells and whistles a camera has, it's no good unless the photographer has an eye for beauty - which you do. But have fun with those whistles and bells, too.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:18 AM  

  • My camera has an easy button too, but my pics aren't nearly as good as yours.

    By Blogger Annie, at 2:42 PM  

  • But isn't a new camera fun? Well, when you're not standing on your head trying to get it to do what you want!

    My old camera wouldn't do a close-up at all. I looked it up in the manual and found "minimum focus distance 30 inches". Argh. I like the newer one much better.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home