Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Look! Up in the Sky!


Is it a bird? A plane? A frog? No...


It's an FO!

A small one, to be sure, and I have to weave in the ends, but it's an FO all the same. I took the second half of my double-knitting class today. The class was taught by Alasdair, the double-knit ninja himself, and hosted by the ever-gracious Lucy at Mind's Eye Yarns. The goal of the class was to learn double knitting in the round and decreasing by making a hat. In the first class we learned a double-knit cast-on technique and got some pointers on choosing a design for the hat body. In the second class we were to decrease for the crown of the hat we had started in the first class. Our homework between classes was of course to knit the body of the hat, which, being a Very Bad Student, I hadn't done.

So I decided to knit a crown all by itself and call it a coaster. Shortly after casting on I remembered how passionately I hate double-knitting stubbornly inelastic cotton, but I persevered — and the best part of working a circle from the outside in is that each round goes a little faster. With Alasdair's expert guidance, I was more than half done by the time class was over.


I started with 72 pairs of stitches, decreasing 6 pairs on each round until I was down to 6 in the middle. I ended up with 3 stitch pairs each on 2 circs, and I separated the blue from the white at that point and grafted 3 to 3 on each side. For a first try I think it's not too bad, and I have some ideas for more double-knit round things.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Wow, that is awesome! (And the sky photo is cool, too.)

    That's really cool. Knitted from the outside in, huh? Man.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 7:18 AM  

  • I am impressed! It is indeed a beautiful coaster.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:12 AM  

  • Double knitting! Good for you! I just yesterday was poking around ravelry and saw you have about a bazillion posts, many on this DK thing. As for an FO, the only one I've finished lately is one that is 20 years old! (and that was a matter of knitting an inch of neck).

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 8:42 AM  

  • I don't take very many knitting classes. I don't have the patience -- I usually figure out whatever it is that I want to know within the first few minutes of class, and then get antsy. That said, this looks like a good class!

    By Blogger Danielle, at 9:34 AM  

  • yay, you! Glad the class is going well. Your coaster looks really nifty. OH, and things you're good at include designing double knitting colorwork, and being an amazingly patient friend :)

    By Blogger Liz, at 10:53 AM  

  • Way cool! Is the back mostly blue with some white showing? I am impressed by doublle knitting!

    By Blogger roxie, at 2:14 PM  

  • Double-knitting is magic, I think. Or maybe voodoo. It takes a certain kind of brain to grok it and I don't think mine is one of them. But I remember watching you do bi-colored brioche rib as effortlessly as garter stitch, so it's no wonder you're good at this. Even with cotton. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home