Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, May 25, 2008

146

That's how many days (counting this one) I've now blogged consecutively. I didn't sign up for anything when I began, because if I had, sure as anything something would have prevented me from getting to a computer on January 6, and I would have looked like a doofus. (Grant would say it's doofus-like of me to be superstitious, but I am, and he'll just have to deal with it.)

It's been an interesting experience. There have been days when I had very little to say, and days when I've just written whatever was in my head. I've blogged more about politics than I usually do, and certainly more about trees. The ABC-along contest for the letter I was a godsend, because although I didn't win I did get motivated to catch up by posting G, H and I all in the same week. (I have a K and an L in mind, in case anyone's counting, but I'm not sure yet what to do with M.)

There are people who don't blog every day, but who have a lot to say when they do; some people who blog every day manage to be consistently interesting and funny, which I can't pull off. If my blog post consists of nothing more than a cat picture, you can be sure I've opened all the closets in my brain and found nothing but moths and old sneakers. And, let me tell you, when I do have something to say, it's hard work making it come out anywhere close to the way I want it to.

For a professional writer I have a lot of trouble writing. When I write about politics I still fear offending people — I can just about guarantee that at least a third of the population disagrees with any political opinion I (or anyone else, for that matter) may hold, so I do my best to express myself civilly and hope for a minimum of catcalls and rotten tomatoes. When I write about Taz I'm afraid I'll sound whiny, as I'm truly not looking for sympathy, been there, done that, onward.

Nonetheless, I plan to keep working on it. It's good exercise, I think, and I'm finding it easier the more I do it. Please bear with me.

What? Oh, OK, here you go.

5 Comments:

  • I know what you mean about blogging every day. I did it for quite some time. that was the easy part. What I found hard was replying to all the comments, then replying to the responses to the replies to the comments, etc. And then reading the blogs of the people who posted comments. It can be really, REALLY time consuming. But a pretty picture is always a nice touch!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 PM  

  • I was thinking about blogging every day not long ago... especially since I've lately only been posting about twice a week. I thought that for me, to blog every day (even just a picture and no commentary) would make it a chore, and then I wouldn't enjoy it so much, and I might just stop. So you're stuck with my sporadic, disjointed posts! I'm with Dave about the consumption of time. Rough around here too with competition for the computer resource.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 8:56 AM  

  • I have been reveling in your daily blogs! Yayyy Lucia!

    By the way, when you blog about Taz, you don't sound whiney. You sound pretty heroic to me. I know it's just part of life for you, but it puts my life into better perspective to hear about it.

    I guess I've been a really rude blogger. I don't respond to every comment and I don't even read the blogs of everyone who swings by to make a comment. And, to be honest, I'm not going to start now.

    And you take some wizard photos!

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:02 AM  

  • I used to write and re-write certain things over and over in my head. Now they escape out of my head onto the blog and quit bothering me.

    I do find I need some real in my life in order to feel even vaguely interesting as a blogger.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 11:01 AM  

  • Ooo - one of the things I like about reading blogs is learning more about the interesting people I've met but not for long enough to learn about them. So you're a professional writer? What? Where? (I already know who and when, and I can guess how).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home