Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Actual Knitting


I am in love with this yarn. I want to marry it and have green, stringy children with it.* It's Dream in Color Smooshy in the Blue Lagoon colorway. With all the sock yarn I've had marinating in my stash, for years in some cases, it seems somehow unfair that this one has jumped the line, swept me off my feet, and demanded that I wind it up and start swatching immediately. But passion is passion, and true love cannot be denied. (I wound it by hand, as I think the ball winder pulls too much, and I wanted to show proper respect. Usually I get a nice cake similar to what the winder produces; why I created a boob in this case I cannot tell you.)

The yarn is springy and squishy and soft and, well, smooshy. The color variations ripple subtly across my swatch like shadows on water. The stitch definition is crisp: I don't know how well you can see in the picture, because I've just started to fool around a bit, but I marvel at how nicely it shows the stitchwork. I need to come up with a pattern that has some plain knitting and also some stitch manipulation in it, because it would be a shame not to see the play of color clearly, but also a shame not to let the yarn show off. I will be making socks for me, of course — I like to think of myself as a generous person, but there are limits — and I will be flashing them brazenly at every opportunity.

Inspired as I am, I feel equal to the task.
_____________________________________________________
*I will be seriously impressed, although probably not to the point of forking over yarn, if you can tell me what 21st-century novel contains the line I am paraphrasing here.

5 Comments:

  • I love DIC smooshy, too!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:54 AM  

  • Beautiful plumage!

    So I guess it's not Secret Memoirs: The Court of Royal Saxony, 1891-1902 if it's 21st century, then?

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:38 AM  

  • Love,lovelovelove the yarn! Mmmmm - smooshy goodness. Can't wait to see those socks.

    And, you WILL tell us which novel, won't you?

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:52 AM  

  • I have a skein of Smooshy, but have never used it. I do like the Blue Lagoon color though.

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 2:21 PM  

  • You are making a strong argument for it jumping the queue in my stash, also.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home