Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, January 24, 2008

B is for Books


It's been suggested to me that I have so many knitting books that I should subcategorize them into stitch dictionaries, technique books, pattern books, and so forth. But I don't have that many of them, I can easily find whichever one I'm looking for, and I like some of the juxtapositions that result from shelving them alphabetically by author. June Hiatt's much-sought-after classic, for example, snuggles up to Creative Hands, a Greystone publication, which contains many, ahem, vintage '60s-era patterns. My good friend Roxie stands shoulder to shoulder with fellow creative genius Sally Melville, and — this one is my favorite — Stitchy McYarnpants keeps company with McCall's Big Book of Knit & Crochet for Home and Family.

(20/20 hindsight department: sometime in the '80s I found a large stack of The Principles of Knitting in the remainder section at New England Mobile Book Fair, and bought a copy for I think it was $12.95. Had I but known, I would have cleaned them right out, and I could now, if not exactly retire, at least buy myself a lot of cashmere.)

10 Comments:

  • Of course B is for Books! I think I have more knitting books than you do.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:59 AM  

  • It's always fun to look at other people's bookshelves, especially other knitters!

    (And no, I don't have more knitting books than you do.)

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:30 AM  

  • Hey when you snuck into my house to take that picture.. how did you get past the dog?
    Denise
    knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 3:26 PM  

  • Hey, it's the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework!... I could not possibly overstate the importance of that book in my formative years. The stitch dictionaries were completely fascinating to me circa age eight or so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

  • Ahhh, you are obviously a woman of taste and discretion!

    By Blogger roxie, at 3:52 PM  

  • That 20/20 will getcha every time!

    By Blogger Carol, at 10:30 PM  

  • We have many of the same titles.

    By Blogger Annie, at 11:35 PM  

  • I'm loving the little sag in the shelf :)

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 12:00 AM  

  • No kidding hindsight! Loved looking at your books... I have that reader's digest book too (from a friend that had died)...my first knitting book and I learned some things from it. Here the books are arranged mostly by size, so they'll fit on the shelves. One of my charming beasts (found the edge of Priscilla gibson-roberts socks and stockings book interesting and chewed off the binding in part....grrr.... so now none of the books stick out.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 10:02 AM  

  • i have more knitting books than you do.

    and i feel the same way about some of the alice starmores i have.

    they're re-issuing the principles of knitting by the way.

    By Blogger maryse, at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home