Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, January 24, 2008

B is for Books


It's been suggested to me that I have so many knitting books that I should subcategorize them into stitch dictionaries, technique books, pattern books, and so forth. But I don't have that many of them, I can easily find whichever one I'm looking for, and I like some of the juxtapositions that result from shelving them alphabetically by author. June Hiatt's much-sought-after classic, for example, snuggles up to Creative Hands, a Greystone publication, which contains many, ahem, vintage '60s-era patterns. My good friend Roxie stands shoulder to shoulder with fellow creative genius Sally Melville, and — this one is my favorite — Stitchy McYarnpants keeps company with McCall's Big Book of Knit & Crochet for Home and Family.

(20/20 hindsight department: sometime in the '80s I found a large stack of The Principles of Knitting in the remainder section at New England Mobile Book Fair, and bought a copy for I think it was $12.95. Had I but known, I would have cleaned them right out, and I could now, if not exactly retire, at least buy myself a lot of cashmere.)

10 Comments:

  • Of course B is for Books! I think I have more knitting books than you do.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:59 AM  

  • It's always fun to look at other people's bookshelves, especially other knitters!

    (And no, I don't have more knitting books than you do.)

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:30 AM  

  • Hey when you snuck into my house to take that picture.. how did you get past the dog?
    Denise
    knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 3:26 PM  

  • Hey, it's the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework!... I could not possibly overstate the importance of that book in my formative years. The stitch dictionaries were completely fascinating to me circa age eight or so.

    By Anonymous Beth S., at 3:47 PM  

  • Ahhh, you are obviously a woman of taste and discretion!

    By Blogger Roxie, at 3:52 PM  

  • That 20/20 will getcha every time!

    By Blogger Carol, at 10:30 PM  

  • We have many of the same titles.

    By Blogger Annie, at 11:35 PM  

  • I'm loving the little sag in the shelf :)

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 12:00 AM  

  • No kidding hindsight! Loved looking at your books... I have that reader's digest book too (from a friend that had died)...my first knitting book and I learned some things from it. Here the books are arranged mostly by size, so they'll fit on the shelves. One of my charming beasts (found the edge of Priscilla gibson-roberts socks and stockings book interesting and chewed off the binding in part....grrr.... so now none of the books stick out.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 10:02 AM  

  • i have more knitting books than you do.

    and i feel the same way about some of the alice starmores i have.

    they're re-issuing the principles of knitting by the way.

    By Blogger maryse, at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home