Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, January 19, 2008

A is for Armoire

There used to be a pile of boxes in a corner of our bedroom. Several of them were nice anonymous white boxes, but careful examination would have shown that they had come from a certain Canadian company. Now and then the pile would get a little taller, a phenomenon that I hoped no one but me noticed.

A couple of years ago, after Grant had pointedly remarked for the third time that week on the boxes' esthetic qualities, or lack thereof, I finally hit on an idea. "If you don't like looking at the boxes," I said, "why don't we buy a nice armoire?"

Grant looked at me.

And looked at me some more.

"You want to buy furniture just to put yarn in?"
"Well, not just for yarn. I could keep clothes in it too."


Handsome, don't you think?


Two of the drawers do contain clothes, but the main storage space looks like this. (Those are knitting magazines and pattern leaflets on the center right. Most of them are of fairly recent vintage, but there are some I inherited from my grandmother that a knitting historian might like to get her hands on.)

Now, I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking, "That's her whole stash, and she claims to have a lot of yarn? Piker."

I said we got the armoire to store my stash. I didn't say it could hold my whole stash. (The astute among you will note that the pictured boxes are not white.) As I make my way through the alphabet, further revelations may occur.

9 Comments:

  • So, while I convince my husband that my stash doesn't come near his stuff in monetary value, now I have to start explaining all of the furniture I keep it in? Man. Maybe he'll buy a new motorcycle, then I'll have miles to go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 PM  

  • Fortunately for me, my DH is into one of those collectible card games, and his, er, "investment" in cards is way way over my investment in yarn. :)

    By Blogger Alwen, at 6:24 PM  

  • For fiber enthusiasts, these should be called yarnmoires ;) It's great!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8:09 PM  

  • Can't wait to see more ... and I know there's more.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 10:56 PM  

  • Great post! I keep thinking I have a lot of yarn until I am shown a true collector's stash. It encourages me to add to my own. Thanks for the help!

    By Blogger Mary in Boston, at 8:57 AM  

  • What a lovely armoire! Good idea. And that's really a mild case of stashitus. You can tell a hard-core yarn enthusiast by the skeins hidden behind the beans in her pantry.

    By Blogger roxie, at 11:01 AM  

  • Lovely armoire, lovely contents! I'm glad you are writing every day since we rarely get to see each other these days..Kathleen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:29 PM  

  • Yarnmoires! Great carol comment. It looks neat, except for the pile on the TOP of it.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2:44 PM  

  • That's a lovely piece of furniture, and the contents remind me very much of a certain cabinet in my dining room. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home