Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vacation Brain

A former coworker of mine described Vacation Brain as a syndrome wherein the percentage of brain cells occupied by thoughts of vacation, planning for vacation, making lists of things that must be done before vacation, wishing to be already on vacation, and so on, is inversely proportional to the number of days left before vacation begins.

I am blaming Vacation Brain entirely for the fact that I had to reopen the same program three times as I was getting ready to leave work today — oh, wait, just one more thing I have to do here — and my inability to remember the location of my shopping list, the form I need to mail in so Miss B can try out for soccer in the fall, or any of the things we need to pack for vacation. In this state of mind I find doing laundry takes on a complexity comparable with, say, neuroscience.


VB could also be responsible for the fact that although, as you can clearly see, I've completed quite a few repeats of this lace, I still can't remember the pattern, even though it's completely symmetrical and has only four rows (well, eight, but half of them say "purl").

I'll just have to keep dragging the book around with me. Now where did I put it?

4 Comments:

  • Photo copy the pattern and quit dragging the whole book around. And have a ball on your vacation!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:26 AM  

  • I made a whole sweater with this pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/aswiminknits/fountain-lace-cardigan) and never really memorized the lace. I feel better to know that I'm not the only one who didn't "get" it right away.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 11:25 AM  

  • Vacation brain is a subset of a complex a friend of mine calls "impending syndrome". Any impending event, welcome or dreaded, comes to occupy the entire brain until one just wishes to skip the intervening days and GET IT OVER WITH. Childbirth, surgery, vacation, moving house. . . all prime causes of impending syndrome. I sympathize.
    /s/ Gretchen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

  • i like the theory....right now my brain is definitely in the "wishing to be already on vacation" phase. luckily i have one coming up! (it's worse to be in that phase with no vacation on the horizon)

    By Blogger the boogeyman's wife, at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home