Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, February 17, 2008

D is for Deciduous

I love the pine woods behind my house. Stalwart the trees stand, season in and season out, murmuring summer secrets, roaring out autumn's blustery songs, whispering in thickly falling snow, rippling with suppressed excitement at spring's approach.

Yet while they wear their staid and sober green, it's their oak and maple sisters that lead the dance.


Patiently they wait under the snow...


watching the sky for signs.


The redbuds begin the spring parade...


soon followed by their gaudier cousins.


(Some people apparently like to be a little too close to the action.)




The lush greens of summer spread their shady skirts.


The panoply of autumn finery comes again (anyone know where I took the picture above?)...




and the ecdysiasts of the front yard make the most of one last wild romp before it's time to sleep again.

11 Comments:

  • What a great 'D' with all of its 'S' alliterations in the beginnning! I lived in PA for a bit, and spring was g-eor-geous. Redbud and dogwood blanketing the hillsides in their dappled pink and white. Hmmm.. Cape Elizabeth for the pic, is it barberry (a horrible invasive plant in New England...)...???

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 11:07 PM  

  • Ahhh, green. I'm ready!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 8:32 AM  

  • See, in my befuddled state I totally missed a new word... my oh my, were ya really dancing naked in the yard???

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 9:43 AM  

  • What a great D!!!!!!! I love it. I'm still struggling with mine...

    By Blogger Norma, at 10:24 AM  

  • Beautiful! Thank you! xoxo

    By Blogger Sandy, at 10:40 AM  

  • That was just beautiful. I certainly would not know where that tree is, all I see when I look up are palms and birds. (Oh and the wires)

    By Blogger Carol, at 1:34 PM  

  • Great "D" post! Love all the pictures.

    By Blogger Mary in Boston, at 5:53 PM  

  • I love a post that drives me to the dictionary. And a Mencken-ism -- even better!

    By Blogger Danielle, at 7:39 PM  

  • Nicely done!

    By Blogger Iron Needles, at 11:07 AM  

  • Oh, shoot, we're up to "D" already? I only just got "C" up...sheesh. I'm playing blog catch-up on the reading end, too, and I do need to commend you on your continuied effort to post daily. I need to get better at that...

    By Blogger Chris H, at 12:28 AM  

  • Fabulous D, with all the usual suspects in attendance!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home